Monday, August 1, 2011

Seared Lamb Chops with a Goat Cheese White Wine Reduction

If there is any recipe you must make at least once, this is one of them!!  I found this recipe while perusing Whole Food’s recipe data base.   This such a easy and delightful meal, it would be excellent as a weekend dinner for two, but equally wonderful served at an elegant dinner party.

I knew I was meant to make this this dish for a couple of reasons:  1) The exact moment I clicked on this recipe my husband, who was perusing the grocery ads in the paper, informed me lamb chops were on sale.  2)  I have a maaaaaaaaaajor thing for goat cheese.  And white wine.   This recipe called for all the above, perfect!  3) My husband, like many, loves red meat.   Lamb chops are a unique, yet tender and flavorful choice than the standard filet.  

Ingredients
 
Serves 4

1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground sea salt
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper (I particularly love this peppergrinder)
4 Lamb lean chops, about 1" thick (either a loin chop aka English style, the T-bone of chops, or French style, also known as loli-pops)
2 teaspoons of finely chopped rosemary
1/3 cup of dry white wine
1/4 cup of chicken stock
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 oz of goat cheese

Method

These can be either grilled or broiled.  Either way would be delicious, I decided to broil for something different as I have been grilling a ton lately.  Pre-heat oven to broil.

Next chop fresh rosemary and line up the rest of your ingredients.  


For the Lamb:  Heat a cast iron skillet on high heat.  Cast iron skillets are wonderful, they are inexpensive and really make a difference.  They also have the ability to withstand high temperatures making them ideal for searing. You will know when the skillet is ready by flicking a tiny bit of water on the pan, if it sizzles, it is ready!

My husband recommends you pat each side of the meat before you sear anything.  I found it easiest to pat dry with a paper towel.  Add sea salt to one side of the lamb, and place salt side down into the skillet.  Search chops for 2-3 minutes and then flip, adding pepper to the other side.  Sear other side for 2 minutes.
Sprinkle chopped rosemary onto chops and transfer the entire skillet to the broiler.  Broil about 2-3 minutes per side.  Remove skillet from oven and relocate lamp chops to another dish.

Warning:  Be careful transferring the skillet from the broiler to the stove top, the cast iron will be extremely hot.  I used my favorite new pair of oven mitts, pictured below!
Reduction:  Add white wine (you will want to use a crisp white, such as a Sauvignon Blanc, I used my latest summer find The Beach House).  Stir and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the skillet.  Add the chicken broth and one sprig of rosemary.  Let simmer at a low boil, till reduced by 1/3.

Remove and discard the rosemary.  Swirl in the goat cheese to create a creamy sauce.

Place the lamb chops on a plate and drizzle with the reduction sauce.  Serve immediately while sauce is liquified (it liquifies fast).  Enjoy!


Follow me on Twitter @ CheesePlease531

Update: Whole Foods is proudly featuring my photography for this recipe!!  Amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment