Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lean Green Smoothie


I've been sick all week, I've had a nasty cold.  Thankfully I started feeling better today. In the past 48 hours I've only worn pajamas, been in bed, slept for almost 40 of those hours and watched 3 pretty terrible chick flicks.  The only saving grace was Chris bringing a endless supply of soup, DayQuil and Nyquil.  Oh, and snuggling with my puppy, he never left my side.  That was a bonus :)

I knew I was feeling better when only 8 hours of sleep was sufficient and I was motivated to shower and put on some yoga pants to run a few errands.  This included a stop at the farmers market to load up on fruit and veggies because I had a recipe in mind I really wanted to try. While I was sick in bed, I caught up on reading some of my favorite blogs. Camille Styles is a fashion, food, entertaining, overall chic blog that is always inspiring.  I highly recommended you check out what Camille and her team come up with.   She recently posted a recipe for a smoothie that sounded fresh, healthy and full of vitamins.  After a weekend of bacon cornbread, it was exactly everything I needed! 

True to it's green name, this smoothie is nutrient packed and delicious.  It is loaded with a fresh spinach, which I have never included in my smoothies before. (I don't know why, but I think I always will now).  The highlight of the smoothie is the fresh pineapple which is complemented by ripe pear, fresh cucumber and mint.  A little bit of agave nectar adds a touch of sweetness.  Make this!!

Ingredients

1/2 of a pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 ripe pear, peeled, cored and chopped
juice from 1 lime
1 cup baby spinach leaves
10 mint leaves, chopped
1 tsp agave nectar
1 tsp of chia seeds 
crushed ice


Update!! I recently made this smoothie with a peach (peeled) instead of a pear and it was excellent!!!  (And I omitted the line and mint... still tasted great!)

Method

Purée ingredients in a blender until smooth.  Pour into 2 glasses, garnish with a cucumber spear and serve.

 Enjoy!

 

Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

6 comments:

  1. Looks amazing Jess - I will def be trying this!!!

    XOXO
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie! It is really good, and definitely up your alley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the looks of this. How delicious!
    We are going to feature you on our Facebook and Twitter feeds in January, so others can come to your page and see how to make this. Please feel free to come LIKE us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens.
    We <3 spinach!

    --The friendly farmers at Cut `n Clean Greens

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love spinach too!! Thanks for featuring me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's looks like an avocado shake? isn't it?

    ReplyDelete