Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Parmesan Honey Sweet Potato Chips


Annnnd we're back!  Whhheww, that was an extended blogging/ just need to chill break.  It was a good break and now I am so excited to start sharing recipes with you all again.  During my break, I was still cooking, but I was most re-making my favorite recipes and eating lots of simple fruits and vegetables.  I feel like a regular at my local farmers market!!  Such a great feeling!

One of my all-time favorite veggies are sweet potatoes.  They are a super food, and super good for you.  I like them because they satisfy my carb cravings yet fill me with nutrients.  This time I decided to turn them into chips - with a vegetable peeler!  It's pretty easy and there's no need for any fancy cutlery, or a mandolin.  I wish I would of starting doing this earlier.

I decided to use the first few peels with the skin because the potato skin also has a lot of nutrients.  (Though you could peel the potato first and then just use subsequent peels if you don't like the texture of the skin).   Salty parmesan and sweet honey come together and compliment these crispy chips.  They are addictive as a snack and make a fun side dish!

 Ingredients

2 small sweet potatoes or 1 large sweet potato
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp honey (I used local sourwood honey)
1/4 cup shaved parmesan
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground pepper

Method

Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.  Start to peel potato into strips and keep going.  (I used a medium sized mixing bowl for the potato peels which I recommend because it was easy to then mix all the seasonings and potato peels in).  Now add in the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, honey and parmesan.   Mix together with your hands until evenly coated.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the sweet potato peels on the sheet.  Bake for 20-25 minutes till crispy.  Enjoy!


This recipe was inspired by this week's Food Matters Project recipe - beet "sandwiches".  This is my take on a similar but beet-free recipe :)  Get the original recipe here! And check out everyone else’s take here.

8 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back! LOVE that you used a veg peeler here - how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're back! Love your interpretation of this recipe. I wish I had thought to substitute sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!! I am always inspired by you guys and excited to be back at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the texture your chips got with the vegetable peeler! I may have to try that soon.

    I'm with you on the beets...I HATE them. We ended up with sweet potato chips too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oah that sounds really tasty ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying this tonight and am so excited! It never ocurred to me to use a peeler; I never made chips b/c I didn't want to buy a mandoline.

    ReplyDelete