Thursday, August 18, 2011

Rosemary Sea Salt Crackers


What hands down goes best with cheese??  Crackers!  For years, I have tried and tested almost every single variety of crackers available at the grocery store, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, you name it.  I have read all the labels, compared ingredients, taste tested, and read nutritional labels with hopes of finding the BEST crackers to pair with my favorite cheeses, dips and hummus'.  Most of the time I am looking for a flavorful cracker that is low in fat (so I don't feel guilty eating 15 of them) and is not crazy expensive.


These homemade Rosemary Sea Salt Crackers are decidedly light and crispy.   They are pretty simple to make and use ingredients you probably already have on hand.  I immediately had the urge to make my own crackers when I came across this biscuit cutter at my favorite kitchen store, Sur La Table.   If you ever need any bakeware, kitchen tools, or pretty dishes, they have it all!  I could spend hours in this store (and hundred's of dollars).



Ingredients

2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp table salt
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup water
2-3 large rosemary sprigs, minced (about 1 tbsp)
3/4 tsp sea salt

Method

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.  Mix rosemary and sea salt in a small bowl.  Mix all purpose flour, white whole wheat flour and salt in a medium bowl.

Add olive oil to the bowl with flour and salt mixture, and then slowly add the water.  Stir with a rubber spatula until the dough comes together (sometimes it helps to press the dough against the side of the bowl).

Divide the dough into three balls.  Cover two of the balls with some saran wrap and set aside while you work the first ball.

Lightly flour your work space and with your fingers press the dough into a flat oval.  Use a rolling pin to further roll out the dough.  I suggest using one because you want the dough to be pretty thin.  The rolling pin below was my Granny's that she passed down to me long before I actually knew of recipes that used one! 
With a cookie cutter or biscuit press, cut out each cracker and place on baking sheet. Continue to do so for each ball of dough, or in batches depending on the size and how many baking sheets you use.

Lightly brush the top of the dough with some water and sprinkle the top of each cracker with the rosemary sea salt mixture.  Be careful not to over season the crackers.  Bake for 8-10 minutes till slightly golden.  Remove and let cool.


These are sooo good just to snack on and are also great for entertaining.  Pair these crackers with a extra sharp Vermont White Cheddar and a cold glass of dry white wine.  Enjoy!

Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

12 comments:

  1. These look yummy! I was reading your blog and then realized that I know you! Hope you are well and hi to Chris!

    http://www.myfarefoodie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy!! And great to hear from you. We are doing great! Thanks for reading my blog :) I will have to check out yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to cook these - tomorrow maybe, sounds like a plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The benefits of dead sea salt is something that can be recounted through thousands of years. It is a natural exfoliant that creates blood flow to skin tissue

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look amazing! I am making them this weekend for sure. I love rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I have to stop myself from adding rosemary to almost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA HA! Rosemary...I have the same problem! I linked to your post on my page.Yours was so beautifully done...I just had to share it with all three of my followers.Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is the link to my page...Thanks.
    http://wp.me/p1WnmQ-6T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the recipe! I am glad you enjoyed the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found an easy way for doing my crackers because I make so many is to turn the cookie tray upside down & lightly grease the bottom & roll the cracker dough out on it then simply cut in squares & bake. Makes my cracker baking go so much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know, Sheryl! Especially if you are making a big batch! I was going to actually make up some crackers this weekend for a party, I'll give your method a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can these be made with all white whole wheat? I am a clean eater and do not eat all purp flour.

    ReplyDelete