Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy Hummus

If there is one thing in this world I am absolutely crazy for other than cheese, it is hummus.  Hummus is a wonderful, healthy, and tasty snack option that can be used in so many ways.  I started buying hummus a few years ago, and you could always find me every evening after work standing in my kitchen dipping whatever I could find into a container of hummus.  I would be starving and could never stop myself from diving into some hummus before I cooked dinner.   When I started consuming containers of Sabra hummus faster than I care to remember, I decided to look into how to make it myself.

Turns out hummus not only is extremely easy to make, you can make it at a fraction of the cost!  And there are so many different ingredients you can add to change up the flavor.  Through out the past few years I have become addicted to making my own.   I like my hummus to be somewhat simple.  I also like it to be loaded with garlic, so feel free to use less, or even add more.  The secret ingredient lies in the ground cumin seeds, definitely don't leave it out.  This recipe is my favorite, it is the result of countless tries of many different ingredient combinations.  I think you will love it! 


Ingredients

1 can of chick peas, drained (aka garbanzo beans)
2 tbsp minced garlic (feel free to use 3 tbsp is you love garlic)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp organic sesame tahini  
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp freshly ground sea salt
1/8 tsp paprika

Method

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process for 2-3 minutes.  Place in a small container and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.  Top with sprinkled paprika and serve with your favorite veggies (mine are cucumbers!) or pita chips.


It is always a great idea to whip up a batch at the beginning of the week to have on hand for sandwich spreads, or when you need a low-calorie snack!

Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

No comments:

Post a Comment