Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pomegranate and Apple Salad


Things are going OK in our house in terms of eating healthy through this holiday season.  We do really well throughout the week... and then the weekend comes.  Our weekend was full of lazy days and evening holiday parties.  And pizza ordered from the couch.  Does this ever happen to you??  So in attempt to turn things around, we made this salad and it was exactly what we needed.  The pomegranate seeds add a juicy and crunchy addition to the tart granny smith apples.  (Be sure to buy organic apples, I just read in multiple places it is the numero uno fruit to buy organic as the skin of regular apples contains the most pesticide.  You can also learn how to de-seed a pomegranate here).  I added walnuts give the salad a wonderful nutty layer.  For one of the holiday parties I went to on Monday, I did a pomegranate, goat cheese (of course) and walnut combination.  Very delicious, but I really think this one using apples is the best.  Did you also notice how this salad is not only seasonal, but also in holiday colors?  I just love it!!

Ingredients
Serves 4

2 organic granny smith apples, cleaned and thinly sliced
1 package of spinach
1 pomegranate, de-seeded
1/2 cup walnut pieces

Method

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss with your favorite dressing.  Be healthy and enjoy!


Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

3 comments:

  1. OMG, you just reminded me how much I LOVE pomegranate seeds. It was always what my mom gave me on New Year's Eve as a child for some reason. We would have chestnuts and pomegranate seeds and watch the ball drop. Lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely memory!!! I love pomegranates, I think they are fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wonder how can people make memories so easily as I found it pretty hard task. hope this blog generator will help me matching the pace with my friends who are good in creating such kind of stuff

    ReplyDelete