Monday, August 22, 2011

Watermelon Feta Salad


Summer is still here!  Even as we all look forward to the fall, it is important to take advantage of summer produce while it is still around.  I absolutely love watermelon - it tastes great, is low in calories and has a high amount of vitamin A (major antioxidant), vitamin C and Beta Carotene. This light and refreshing recipe is just quintessential to the summer.  The bright red watermelon in the salad is perfectly complimented by salty feta cheese and toasty pine nuts.  Red and green grapes add texture and color.  Top this salad with fresh mint and a champagne vinaigrette!



I got this recipe from one of my cook book's called "The All American Cheese and Wine Book - Pairings, Profiles and Recipes".  I love this cookbook, it was actually one of the gifts from my husband on the first Valentines Day we ever celebrated while dating.   Such a perfect gift, even back then he knew me very well!!  

I served this at lunch for a friend, and served the salad with BBQ grilled chicken.  The salty feta and sweet watermelon, along with the sweet and savory chicken paired especially well with Sauvignon Blanc.  Take advantage of this before the summer ends!



Ingredients

Serves 4

1 3lb wedge of seedless watermelon, or half of a seedless miniature watermelon
1 cup red and green grapes, halved
3/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp champagne vinegar
2 tbsp chopped mint leaves, plus extra for serving

Method

In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, vinegar, and mint.  Set aside.

With a sharp knife cut the watermelon in half lengthwise.  Cut the fruit away from the rind.  Then cut the fruit into cubes 1/4-inch.

In a large bowl, toss the watermelon together with grapes and cheese.  When ready to serve, toss with the dressing and nuts.  Garnish with a mint sprig and serve immediately.


Follow me on Twitter @CheesePlease531

8 comments:

  1. This salad looks delicious! In Cyprus we eat watermelon with halloumi cheese! Delicious. Try it, you will not regret it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I might have to check out this halloumi cheese! Thanks! I love to try new cheeses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess this salad you made me was delicious! I can't wait till I get to make it on my own next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am really agree with halloumi cheese :) that was one of the reason of making it delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try it with both halloumi and feta, I am so loving fruit in salads at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I have made it with both and are fan of both cheeses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is champagne vinegar alcoholic? If so, what's a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe the alcohol in the champagne turns to acetic acid in it's processing. Another substitute is always rice vinegar.

    ReplyDelete